Explosion in Israeli hotel kills 15, wounds 100

Wednesday, March 27, 2002

Associated Press WriterJERUSALEM (AP) -- A suicide bomber blew himself up in a hotel dining room in the Israeli coastal resort of Netanya on Wednesday as guests gathered for a Passover Seder, the ritual evening meal ushering in the Jewish holiday. Police said 15 people were killed and more than 100 wounded.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

The attack threatened to derail the latest U.S. truce mission, which survived two suicide attacks last week. An adviser to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said that while Israel was trying to reach a truce, it would have to reassess its policy in light of the latest attack.

The blast went off Wednesday evening, as the dining hall of the Park Hotel along Netanya's boardwalk was crowded with guests marking the Passover Seder. A suicide bomber entered the hotel, crossed the lobby and reached the dining hall where he blew himself up, said a local police chief, Aharon Franko.

The explosion tore through the ground floor of the hotel, blowing out walls and overturning tables and chairs. Bits of rubble and wires dangled from the ceiling. Some of the wounded were seen staggering out of the lobby, which was plunged into darkness by the explosion.

One man was covered by a blue blanket, and had blood dripping from his face. An elderly woman, her face covered with blood sat, on the sidewalk, attended to by several people.

Witnesses said they saw five bodies lined up on the pavement, some of them dismembered, including that of a woman in festive holiday clothes.

Police said 15 people were killed and more than 100 wounded -- one of the deadliest suicide bombings in the past 18 months of Israeli-Palestinian fighting.

Netanya has been a frequent target of Palestinian attackers in the past 18 months of violence between Israel and the Palestinians.

The city's mayor, Miram Feyerberg, said it was impossible to prevent such attacks. "This is a city that can be infiltrated from many different directions. It's simply unbelievable," she said.

On March 9, two Palestinian gunmen tossed grenades and opened fire at a hotel in Netanya, killing a 9-month-old Israeli girl and wounding more than 30 other people. Police killed the attackers. The Al Aqsa Brigades, a group linked with Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement, claimed responsibility for the attack.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: