- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
JACKSON, Mo. -- Robert W. Gross, 76, of Jackson died Monday, March 25, 2002, at St. Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born April 28, 1925, at Gordonville, Mo., son of William and Emma Hager Gross. He and Laverne Matthews were married July 28, 1950, at Gordonville.
Gross worked at Lone Star Cement in Cape Girardeau 34 years, retiring in 1987. He was president of the AFL-CIO Union 18 years at Lone Star. He was a lifetime member of Christ Lutheran Church in Gordonville, and a past congregation president and elder. He was a member of VFW Post 10495.
He served with the U.S. Army in the Philippines and Japan during World War II.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Kevin Gross; two daughters, Pat Palisch and Robin Thompson, all of Jackson; a sister, Charlotte Wessel of Chaffee, Mo.; and three grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother.
Friends may call at Christ Lutheran Church after 9:30 a.m. today.
Funeral will be at 11 a.m. today at the church, with the Rev. Gary Hoffstetter officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau is in charge of arrangements.