Ashes lead to house fire

Wednesday, March 20, 2002

Cape Girardeau firefighters rescued a man and a cat from a house fire Tuesday at 1115 Hilldale Circle.

Apparently the young man, who was visiting from Arkansas, cleaned out the fireplace the day before and left the box of ashes near the interior wall of the garage, said battalion chief Steve Niswonger.

The ashes must have continue to smolder and eventually the box caught fire, spreading to the wood paneling in the garage.

The blaze traveled up to the ceiling and damaged the attic slightly.

The young man was asleep in the house when a neighbor noticed the smoke and called 911.