- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Ashes lead to house fire
Cape Girardeau firefighters rescued a man and a cat from a house fire Tuesday at 1115 Hilldale Circle.
Apparently the young man, who was visiting from Arkansas, cleaned out the fireplace the day before and left the box of ashes near the interior wall of the garage, said battalion chief Steve Niswonger.
The ashes must have continue to smolder and eventually the box caught fire, spreading to the wood paneling in the garage.
The blaze traveled up to the ceiling and damaged the attic slightly.
The young man was asleep in the house when a neighbor noticed the smoke and called 911.