- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Shawnee district considers cuts in the fine arts
To the editor:
My children attend school in the Shawnee School District in Southern Illinois, which has 280 children enrolled in grades six through 12 in the junior-senior high school. Due to state cutbacks, the school board has proposed cutting our music department, art and home ec. A large group of parents is concerned about this. Fine arts are a very important part of any child's education.
Why are the arts important? The benefits conveyed by fine arts education can be grouped in four categories: success in society, success in school, success in developing intelligence and success in life.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We are having booster meetings at 6 p.m. on March 11 and 18 at the high school in Wolf Lake. The board meets on March 20 at the high school.