- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)16
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)4
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Business notebook: Plastics firm moves to area to help laid-off workers (06/20/16)1
Shawnee district considers cuts in the fine arts
To the editor:
My children attend school in the Shawnee School District in Southern Illinois, which has 280 children enrolled in grades six through 12 in the junior-senior high school. Due to state cutbacks, the school board has proposed cutting our music department, art and home ec. A large group of parents is concerned about this. Fine arts are a very important part of any child's education.
Why are the arts important? The benefits conveyed by fine arts education can be grouped in four categories: success in society, success in school, success in developing intelligence and success in life.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We are having booster meetings at 6 p.m. on March 11 and 18 at the high school in Wolf Lake. The board meets on March 20 at the high school.