- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Shawnee district considers cuts in the fine arts
To the editor:
My children attend school in the Shawnee School District in Southern Illinois, which has 280 children enrolled in grades six through 12 in the junior-senior high school. Due to state cutbacks, the school board has proposed cutting our music department, art and home ec. A large group of parents is concerned about this. Fine arts are a very important part of any child's education.
Why are the arts important? The benefits conveyed by fine arts education can be grouped in four categories: success in society, success in school, success in developing intelligence and success in life.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We are having booster meetings at 6 p.m. on March 11 and 18 at the high school in Wolf Lake. The board meets on March 20 at the high school.