- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Over my dead body
These are the 10 songs Michael Maguire of Cape Girardeau wouldn't want to live without:
1. "Won't Get Fooled Again" -- The Who
The anthem from my youth has become a rallying cry against the darkness of terrorism (see concert in NYC).
2. "The Wedding Song" -- Peter Yarrow
The words still ring true, and I sang it to my wife at our wedding.
3. "Gentle on My Mind" -- John Hartford
Not Glen Campbell's country/pop version, but the writer's own gritty, loving poem.
4. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" -- Marvin Gaye.
Who can listen to this and not smile and want to dance?
5. "The William Tell Overture" -- Rossini
For the last few minutes; hi-yo, Silver!
6. "Hotel California" -- The Eagles
The ultimate in radio "bumper music," preferably at full blast.
7. "Something" -- George Harrison/The Beatles
Maybe the prettiest love song written by a rock artist, both in tune and words.
8. "Mona Lisa" -- Nat King Cole
Because he had the smoothest and silkiest voice of any singer. I always stop to listen to him.
9. "Flashlight" -- Parliament/Funkadelic
From my polyester days, although any of their songs would be fine for getting down.
10. "City of New Orleans" -- Arlo Guthrie
Woody's boy carries on the tradition of folk music, making Steve Goodman's song his own, and one you have to sing along with.
The Southeast Missourian wants to publish your list of the 10 songs you could not live without.
Please include a short explanation of each title's importance, your name and a daytime phone number. E-mail your list to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail it to: Sam Blackwell, Southeast Missourian, 301 Broadway, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63701