- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)4
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)
- Deputy: Man kicked, broke uncle's ribs after yard-work dispute (4/19/17)
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
U.S. to block assets of Spanish separatists
WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration widened its financial assault against global terror Tuesday and ordered banks to block assets of 21 people identified as members of a separatist group that has mounted terror attacks in Spain.
The Treasury Department said all 21 belong to the Basque Fatherland and Liberty, commonly known in Spain as the Basque ETA separatists.
The State Department designated the ETA a foreign terrorist organization last year. The group was founded in 1959 to establish an independent state in Spain's northern Basque region.
The government said ETA has carried out bombings and assassinated Spanish government officials, especially security and military forces and politicians. It has claimed responsibility for killing about 800 people since it first assassinated a Spanish policeman in 1968.
None of the 21 people are connected to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks or Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida terrorist network, the U.S. government's prime suspect behind the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.