- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Mother and her boyfriend charged with murder in girl's death
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The mother of a slain 23-month-old girl, who police say was beaten and shaken to death over a two-month period, and the mother's live-in boyfriend were charged Monday with second-degree murder.
Tammy Yates, mother of Alexis Smothers, was also charged with three counts of child endangerment. Yates' boyfriend, Bobby L. Matthews, faces three counts of felony child abuse.
Yates, 22, was arrested Monday and was being held in the Independence city jail on $250,000 bond pending her arraignment on Tuesday.
Matthews, who also uses the name Jason Burnhardy and variously gives his age as 29 and 23, was arrested Thursday after police were called to the couple's apartment and found Alexis unresponsive.
She died the next day after being removed from life support.