- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Mother and her boyfriend charged with murder in girl's death
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The mother of a slain 23-month-old girl, who police say was beaten and shaken to death over a two-month period, and the mother's live-in boyfriend were charged Monday with second-degree murder.
Tammy Yates, mother of Alexis Smothers, was also charged with three counts of child endangerment. Yates' boyfriend, Bobby L. Matthews, faces three counts of felony child abuse.
Yates, 22, was arrested Monday and was being held in the Independence city jail on $250,000 bond pending her arraignment on Tuesday.
Matthews, who also uses the name Jason Burnhardy and variously gives his age as 29 and 23, was arrested Thursday after police were called to the couple's apartment and found Alexis unresponsive.
She died the next day after being removed from life support.