- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Season ends for Perryville girls
SIKESTON, Mo. -- No. 4 seed Perryville fell to No. 5 Sikeston 61-56 Monday in first-round action of the Class 3A, District 1 girls basketball tournament.
Sikeston's 19-4 advantage at the free-throw line -- 28 attempts to six for Perryville -- was a major factor in the final outcome.
Amanda Nuyt paced Perryville (15-11) with 22 points and April Lorenz added 15.
Joy Daniel led Sikeston (14-8) with 23 points.
Sikeston meets top-seed Doniphan Wednesday.
No. 3 Dexter eliminated No. 6 Kennett, rolling to a 56-41 win.
Dexter and No. 2 Fredericktown, which bounced No. 7 New Madrid County Central 54-26, will meet in the other semifinal contest Wednesday.
Kelly 73, Portageville 50
PORTAGEVILLE, Mo. -- Kelly cruised past Portageville to reach the 20-victory mark.
Bridgett Riley led Kelly (20-4) with 14 points, while Christy Kluesner had 11 and Ashley Payne 10.
Delta 44, Oran 40
DELTA, Mo. -- With the game tied at 40, Sarah and Rebecca Cook provided late-game heroics for Delta (17-6).
Sarah Cook hit for two of her 14 points to break the tie and Rebecca Cook, who had 17, added two insurance free throws with about 11 seconds left.
Maria Eftink and Anilese Lang shared scoring honors for Oran (12-7) with 14 apiece.
Chaffee 83, Woodland 49
MARBLE HILL, Mo. -- Chaffee (5-15) soundly defeated Woodland, placing five players in double figures.
Jennifer Vandeven led Chaffee with 29 points and 19 rebounds, while Mallory Kiefer had 16, Ashley Graham 13, Callie Meyr 11 and Abby Walter 10.
Emily Davis topped Woodland (5-18) with 15 and Diana McCall scored 10.
Arcadia Valley 70 St. Vincent 44
IRONTON, Mo.-- St. Vincent (7-16) got 17 points from Nicole Hadler and 10 from Chelsey Brown.
Zalma 79, Risco 67
ZALMA, Mo. -- Steven McCain scored 31 points, including five 3-pointers, to pace Zalma.
Chad Wiseman (16), Jamie Mangrum (10) and Brad McKlin (10) added double-figure scoring for Zalma (4-17).
--From staff reports