- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Out of the past 2/11/02
10 years ago: Feb. 11, 1992
Crews are putting finishing touches on three-story, 198-space parking facility at Southeast Missouri Hospital structure opened for parking this week; completion of parking garage was first step in Southeast's five-year building plan; hospital plans $30 million expansion that will increase size of facility by more than 40 percent.
City Councilman Hugh White, contemplating race for Missouri Senate, withdrew Tuesday as candidate for reelection; White says he hasn't decided whether to seek Democratic nomination for Senate from 27th district.
25 years ago: Feb. 11, 1977
Fourth person has filed for City Council, raising possibility that primary race will be necessary before April 5 city elections; Max A. James filed Thursday to place his name on ballot; he joins Gary Koch, Judith Dzur and Robert White on ballot; if one more candidate comes forward, primary election will have to be held.
Four divers working around clock since Thursday have nearly finished bolting 18-foot by 20-foot steel plate to damaged bottom of oil barge that ran aground on Mississippi River near Thebes, Ill., several weeks ago.
50 years ago: Feb. 11, 1952
Action toward paving alley between Morgan Oak and Good Hope streets from Sprigg street to Frederick is deferred by City Council pending contacts in area; W.E. Bright and Mrs. Grace Brucher Holland appear at hearing to protest paving.
Guest ministers here for weeklong United Evangelistic Mission of Methodist Churches in Cape Girardeau District make reports and receive instructions at morning conference at Oran, following successful opening of religious program Saturday and Sunday.
75 years ago: Feb. 11, 1927
After lapse of nearly five years, County Court has voted appropriation and is lending its support to agricultural extension work in county; in answer to plea of committee of 20 men, representing all parts of county and including farmers, professional and business men, court has ordered annual appropriation of $1,550 to be used in agricultural extension work.
Highway workers of Southeast Missouri, at their seventh annual banquet-meeting at Benton yesterday, paid tribute to Frank B. Newton, their retiring division engineer, and extended enthusiastic welcome to their new chief, S.H. Clelland.
-- Sharon K. Sanders