- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
SIKESTON, Mo. -- Martha E. Pickett, 84, of Sikeston died Thursday, Jan. 24, 2002, at Sells Rest Home in Matthews, Mo.
She was born Feb. 13, 1917, in Mississippi County, Mo., daughter of Charles L. and Stella Lorena Stalling Shortz. She married Elwood Pickett, who died Oct. 16, 1998.
Pickett lived in New Madrid County most of her life.
She was a veteran of World War II, serving as a chauffeur with the U.S. Army Women's Air Corps.
Survivors include a daughter, Faye Strauser of Dexter, Mo.; a brother, Alfred Shortz of Magalia, Calif.; a sister, Alfreda Watson of East Prairie, Mo.; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by a daughter, a grandson, and a brother.
Friends may call at McMikle Funeral Home in Charleston, Mo., from 5-8 p.m. today.
Funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the funeral home. The Rev. Richard Whitman will officiate. Burial will be in Mounds Park Cemetery at Lilbourn, Mo.