- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Cramped quarters: April 4 proposition aims to ease crowding in Perry County District Schools (3/23/17)4
Afghan captives receive treatment that is humane
To the editor:
As you read this, hundreds of detained radical Islamicists seethe with hatred toward their American captors at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. One can imagine the diabolical plots, even at the cost of their own lives, they would initiate in order to kill just one of their captors.
These are the same prisoners who are being housed and fed by American service members and are being fed more generously than they have been for the months while they were plotting for the goal of more American deaths. We have even taken into account their unique cultural beliefs regarding foods prepared.
These dangerous prisoners are also given two fresh towels daily, one for a daily shower and the other for use during daily prayers.
Should we feel outraged at this? Perhaps we cannot help but feel some sense of injustice. We want a far harsher treatment than what is being carried out. But what a contrast of cultures this poses. America is not a conqueror, but a liberator. We do not fight to gain lands, but to free souls. We do not, even in harsh times, conclude that we must tread human rights underfoot. Instead, we do our best to spread American idealism abroad that frees and enables the best in mankind to flourish.
America is doing her best to live up to her high ideals of protecting individual rights and the God-given dignities of each individual soul. God bless America.
1st LT. TREVOR JOHNSON
Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.