- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Interior secretary announces plan for wildlife funds
FREMONT, Calif. -- Interior Secretary Gale Norton announced a proposed $56.5 million increase for the National Wildlife Refuge System, an 18 percent hike needed to cover maintenance and renovation of aging facilities.
"It certainly looks like the refuge system needs a sustained effort to improve the resources," Norton said Monday while touring the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge. "It's important to take care of the land entrusted to us."
The San Francisco refuge would receive $1.1 million under the budget that starts Oct. 1.