- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)28
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
Interior secretary announces plan for wildlife funds
FREMONT, Calif. -- Interior Secretary Gale Norton announced a proposed $56.5 million increase for the National Wildlife Refuge System, an 18 percent hike needed to cover maintenance and renovation of aging facilities.
"It certainly looks like the refuge system needs a sustained effort to improve the resources," Norton said Monday while touring the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge. "It's important to take care of the land entrusted to us."
The San Francisco refuge would receive $1.1 million under the budget that starts Oct. 1.