- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Interior secretary announces plan for wildlife funds
FREMONT, Calif. -- Interior Secretary Gale Norton announced a proposed $56.5 million increase for the National Wildlife Refuge System, an 18 percent hike needed to cover maintenance and renovation of aging facilities.
"It certainly looks like the refuge system needs a sustained effort to improve the resources," Norton said Monday while touring the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge. "It's important to take care of the land entrusted to us."
The San Francisco refuge would receive $1.1 million under the budget that starts Oct. 1.