- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Dorm added to town without campus
BERTRAM, Iowa -- The Census Bureau admits it made a mistake -- there's no college dorm in Bertram, or even a college, for that matter.
Census 2000 figures had included a dorm with hundreds of students across from Town Hall, where an empty house actually stands. The bureau has released a corrected count, reducing Bertram's official population from 681 to 263.
That will have a significant impact on the amount of money Bertram will get in certain local tax revenue, including from a road-use tax that gives municipalities about $80 per resident.
The corrected count also matters a great deal to a nearby town that actually has a college with dorms -- Mount Vernon, home of Cornell College.
Because of the miscount, Mount Vernon says Bertram got about $25,000 in tax revenue that should have gone to Mount Vernon.