- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Merle O. Vanderpool, 84, of Cape Girardeau, died Thursday, Jan. 17, 2002, at St. Francis Medical Center.
He was born Sept. 15, 1917, in Oklahoma City, Okla., son of Charles W. and Nellie Owen Vanderpool.
He married Wanda Culley Feb. 13, 1944, in Oklahoma City. She died Jan. 5, 2001.
He was an insurance salesman for Cape Mutual Insurance Co. and was a veteran of the Army Air Corps during World War II. He was a member of the American Legion, VFW, a past member of Cape Choraliers, First Christian Church in Cape Girardeau, and a member of the church choir. He was a graduate of Phillips University in Enid, Okla.
Survivors include a son, Owen Vanderpool of Cape Girardeau; a daughter, Sheryl Schmitt of Cape Girardeau; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
He was also preceded in death by a grandchild.
Friends may call from 5-7 p.m. today at Lorberg Memorial Funeral Chapel.
Funeral will be 10 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with Jim Zink officiating.
Burial will be in Fairmount Cemetery in Cape Girardeau.