- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Leader of group that killed Israeli cabinet minister detained
RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) -- Palestinian police have detained the leader of a faction that claimed responsibility for the assassination of an Israeli cabinet minister, Palestinian security sources said.
Officials from Palestinian Front for the Liberation of Palestine confirmed that Ahmed Saadat has been detained.
The PFLP claimed responsibility for the October assassination of Israeli cabinet minister Rehavam Zeevi and Israel has said it would not lift its travel restrictions on Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat until those responsible for his death were in detention.
There was no immediate comment from Israel.
The move appeared to be an attempt by the Palestinian Authority to salvage a cease-fire that has become extremely tenuous and stop tensions from spiraling out of control. Earlier Tuesday, Palestinian gunmen killed two Israelis in the West Bank. The slayings follow the death of a Palestinian militia leader who was killed in a bombing blamed on Israel.
Saadat's deputy, Abdel Rahim Mallouh, said Saadat was detained during a meeting with an official of the Palestinian Authority.
"This is a political action, which has very dangerous political consequences," Mallouh said.
"We consider this a response that they have accepted all American pressure and Israeli demands," he said.