- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
HENDERSON, Nev.-- Viola Mae Sylvester, 80, of Henderson died Monday, Jan. 7, 2002, at her daughter's home.
She was born May 27, 1921, at Swan River, Manitoba, Canada, daughter of Ellerth and Harriett Sagnes. She and Helmuth Sylvester were married Aug. 20, 1940, at Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
Sylvester was a registered nurse at East St. Louis, Ill., the City Hospital in St. Louis, Jewish Hospital and later the State of Missouri and a private hospital. She was a graduate of Jewish Hospital School of Nursing in 1956. Her husband was a former pastor of Egypt Mills Trinity Lutheran Church.
Survivors include her husband; a daughter, Gloria Bruning of Henderson; a son, Delvin Sylvester of Maplewood, Mo.; a brother, Raymond Sagnes of Canada; a sister, Elvina of Canada; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Friends may call at Trinity Lutheran Church in Egypt Mills, Mo., at 1 p.m. Wednesday.
Funeral will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the church. The Rev. Mark Martin will officiate, with burial in Trinity Lutheran Church Cemetery.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.