- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)3
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
Congressman lives up to oath and principles
To the editor:
Ron Paul, Republican U.S. representative from Texas, may be the last American in Congress. He is the only one who questions the motives or the constitutionality of congressional actions.
For many years, taking the oath to support and defend the Constitution has not deterred congressmen from exploiting and enslaving some American citizens in order to promote and pay off those who found favor with the government. However, in the wake of the disaster of Sept. 11, Congress has passed many laws that focus on American citizens rather than potential foreign terrorists. The assault on the privacy of American citizens is astounding. These laws have expanded the use of wiretaps, subpoenas and search warrants as well as monitoring the Internet and private phone conversations. They demand that banks and other businesses keep track of transactions carried out by citizens going about their business, and they allow the police to monitor, seize and investigate without making a formal complaint.
At the same time, the news media are relishing the war on terrorism and continually telling Americans what they are supposed to think and how they are supposed to act. Except for those individuals who receive their information from the Internet or other unedited sources, no one is being made aware of all the facts and implications that this war entails.
I applaud the bravery of Paul, one man who remains true to his principles and the oath that he gave.
Marble Hill, Mo.