- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)12
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Congressman lives up to oath and principles
To the editor:
Ron Paul, Republican U.S. representative from Texas, may be the last American in Congress. He is the only one who questions the motives or the constitutionality of congressional actions.
For many years, taking the oath to support and defend the Constitution has not deterred congressmen from exploiting and enslaving some American citizens in order to promote and pay off those who found favor with the government. However, in the wake of the disaster of Sept. 11, Congress has passed many laws that focus on American citizens rather than potential foreign terrorists. The assault on the privacy of American citizens is astounding. These laws have expanded the use of wiretaps, subpoenas and search warrants as well as monitoring the Internet and private phone conversations. They demand that banks and other businesses keep track of transactions carried out by citizens going about their business, and they allow the police to monitor, seize and investigate without making a formal complaint.
At the same time, the news media are relishing the war on terrorism and continually telling Americans what they are supposed to think and how they are supposed to act. Except for those individuals who receive their information from the Internet or other unedited sources, no one is being made aware of all the facts and implications that this war entails.
I applaud the bravery of Paul, one man who remains true to his principles and the oath that he gave.
Marble Hill, Mo.