- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Speak Out 01/02/02
SOMEONE WANTS to make the Southeast Missourian the most boring paper in the state, huh? They want to get rid of Speak Out and replace it with calls about lost items? I think that's what the "Lost and Found" classified section is for. Speak Out is a people's forum, and I'd like to praise the Southeast Missourian for providing this anonymous forum. If you don't want privacy, write a letter to the editor and sign your name.
Two cents' worth
TWO COMMENTS: I agree with the caller who wants Speak Out removed from the paper. I think it's a joke. Also, about the attitude of the local police: I've lived in Florence, Ala., and Texarkana, Texas. The cops in these two cities are a lot braver than the police here in Cape. They show no respect when they stop you, even if it's just for a taillight out.
I'D LIKE to comment about the cruising in the park. Honestly ask yourself why there might be cruising going on in the park in the first place. If you can honestly answer the question, maybe you can understand, if not accept. Being gay, lesbian or transgendered is not a preference. Who would wake up one day and say, "Hey, I think I'll be gay and be prejudiced against and hated"? No one in his right mind would make a choice like that.
I REALLY enjoy reading Sam Blackwell's and Joe Sullivan's columns. I look forward to them every week. In my opinion, Sam has changed from being a searching agnostic to a guarded believer.
WHY DO the schools need money when our school taxes just get higher and higher? When the schools have chili suppers, why don't they keep that money for their school instead of giving it away? It doesn't make sense.