- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)5
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
Speak Out 01/02/02
SOMEONE WANTS to make the Southeast Missourian the most boring paper in the state, huh? They want to get rid of Speak Out and replace it with calls about lost items? I think that's what the "Lost and Found" classified section is for. Speak Out is a people's forum, and I'd like to praise the Southeast Missourian for providing this anonymous forum. If you don't want privacy, write a letter to the editor and sign your name.
Two cents' worth
TWO COMMENTS: I agree with the caller who wants Speak Out removed from the paper. I think it's a joke. Also, about the attitude of the local police: I've lived in Florence, Ala., and Texarkana, Texas. The cops in these two cities are a lot braver than the police here in Cape. They show no respect when they stop you, even if it's just for a taillight out.
I'D LIKE to comment about the cruising in the park. Honestly ask yourself why there might be cruising going on in the park in the first place. If you can honestly answer the question, maybe you can understand, if not accept. Being gay, lesbian or transgendered is not a preference. Who would wake up one day and say, "Hey, I think I'll be gay and be prejudiced against and hated"? No one in his right mind would make a choice like that.
I REALLY enjoy reading Sam Blackwell's and Joe Sullivan's columns. I look forward to them every week. In my opinion, Sam has changed from being a searching agnostic to a guarded believer.
WHY DO the schools need money when our school taxes just get higher and higher? When the schools have chili suppers, why don't they keep that money for their school instead of giving it away? It doesn't make sense.