- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Jackson boys rally to defeat Doniphan
DONIPHAN, Mo. -- Jackson rallied from an 11-point first half deficit to defeat Doniphan 69-59 in boys high school basketball action Friday night.
Doniphan led most of the first half, including by double figures in the second quarter, but Jackson (3-4) closed the gap to 38-35 by halftime. The Indians then outscored Doniphan (1-6) 17-9 in the third quarter for a 52-47 advantage.
Jackson coach Mike Kiehne said the Indians picked up their defensive intensity in the latter stages of the second quarter and carried it over into the second half.
"At first they were getting to the basket on us," said Kiehne. "We cut them down in the third quarter, were patient on offense and pounded the ball inside to the big boys."
Lance Bollinger led Jackson with 19 points, while Seth McDowell and Tyler McNeely finished with 17 and 16 points, respectively.
Danny Kellas scored a game-high 20 points for Doniphan. Shayne Talbert finished with 16 and Brian Pulliam added 11.
WARRENTON 52, NEW SALEM 49
MARBLE HILLS, Mo. -- Dane Brumagin tallied 32 points, over half his team's points, as Warrenton Christian defeated New Salem Baptist.
New Salem (3-6) received 21 points from Seth Gaines and 18 from David Green.
The game was close throughout with Warrenton leading 27-23 at halftime and 36-32 entering the fourth quarter.
NEW SALEM 42, WARRENTON 22
MARBLE HILL, Mo. -- Jennifer Meek scored 18 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead New Salem to victory.
New Salem (4-2) built a 20-3 lead by halftime on its way to the win.
-- From staff reports