- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)5
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Hundreds start riot at prison in California
LANCASTER, Calif. -- More than 300 inmates rioted at a crowded state prison Thursday, prompting a crackdown by guards using tear gas and wooden bullets, authorities said. Five inmates were seriously injured.
The fighting broke out in a recreation yard and was quelled after 15 minutes, said prison spokesman Ron Nipper.
"The inmates started to fight, and it just gained momentum," Nipper said.
Guards used pepper spray, tear gas and wooden bullets on the prisoners before firing several warning shots, said Margot Bach, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections. It was unclear whether any prisoners were hit. Bach said 26 homemade weapons were recovered.
No guards or staff were hurt.
Five inmates were taken to local hospitals, where they were in critical condition with "deep puncture wounds," Bach said. Twelve others were treated at the prison infirmary for cuts.
The prison is located in the Mojave Desert, about 40 miles north of Los Angeles. It was put on lockdown Dec. 11, when a guard was beaten by four inmates, department officials said. Inmates were just starting to get some of their privileges back Thursday when the riot began.
It was not immediately clear whether crowding may have contributed to the rioting and Bach said it may take several days to determine the exact cause.