- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)27
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
Hundreds start riot at prison in California
LANCASTER, Calif. -- More than 300 inmates rioted at a crowded state prison Thursday, prompting a crackdown by guards using tear gas and wooden bullets, authorities said. Five inmates were seriously injured.
The fighting broke out in a recreation yard and was quelled after 15 minutes, said prison spokesman Ron Nipper.
"The inmates started to fight, and it just gained momentum," Nipper said.
Guards used pepper spray, tear gas and wooden bullets on the prisoners before firing several warning shots, said Margot Bach, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections. It was unclear whether any prisoners were hit. Bach said 26 homemade weapons were recovered.
No guards or staff were hurt.
Five inmates were taken to local hospitals, where they were in critical condition with "deep puncture wounds," Bach said. Twelve others were treated at the prison infirmary for cuts.
The prison is located in the Mojave Desert, about 40 miles north of Los Angeles. It was put on lockdown Dec. 11, when a guard was beaten by four inmates, department officials said. Inmates were just starting to get some of their privileges back Thursday when the riot began.
It was not immediately clear whether crowding may have contributed to the rioting and Bach said it may take several days to determine the exact cause.