- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Out of the past 12/19/01
10 years ago: Dec. 19, 1991
Perry and Madison counties have been added to 27th Senatorial District of retiring Sen. John Dennis under Missouri Senate redistricting plan tentatively approved by panel of six state appeals court judges; plan also shifts New Madrid County from present 27th District to 25th District of Sen. Jerry Howard, D-Dexter.
Patton - Fire Tuesday at home of mentally handicapped people that claimed life of one resident was deliberately set, state fire officials said yesterday; victim was identified as David Wilder, 58, of Patton; he was one of 17 residents of Mary's Ranch, private, residential-care facility for mentally handicapped.
25 years ago: Dec. 19, 1976
Bishop Bernard F. Law has announced two new vicars general for Catholic Springfield-Cape Girardeau Diocese; the Rev. Phillip Bucher, vicar for planning and renewal at Chancery office in Springfield, and the Rev. Joseph Gosche, pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in Dexter and former chancellor of diocese, have assumed their new posts.
City of Cape Girardeau will receive more than $2.4 million and Cape Girardeau County more than $1.1 million in federal revenue-sharing funds through end of fiscal year 1980.
50 years ago: Dec. 19, 1951
Kansas City - Names of many men from Missouri were included in list of American prisoners of war supplied by Communists in Korea; included on list is S-Sgt. Don C. Edwards, son of Mr. and Mrs. Doyle Edwards of Cape Girardeau.
Continued low temperatures keep Cape Girardeau streets and Southeast Missouri roads covered with thick, hard, treacherous film of ice; Highway Patrol reports all highways are covered with ice in Cape Girardeau, Bollinger and Madison counties; more cold weather is predicted for Missouri tomorrow.
75 years ago: Dec. 19, 1926
The Rev. R.M. Barrett, mission superintendent for General Baptist Church, who is in Cape Girardeau to organize church of that denomination, holds two services in courtroom of Common Pleas Courthouse.
New, $5,000 Kilgen pipe organ being installed in St. Vincent's Catholic Church may be in place in time to be used for special services on Christmas; installation of instrument, which was started last week, has been delayed somewhat by failure of several necessary parts to arrive, but once these are here, organ can be readily put in place.
- Sharon K. Sanders