- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Police arrest 40 after scuffles outside summit
BRUSSELS, Belgium -- Forty German activists were arrested Friday outside a European Union summit after allegedly smashing a police station, attacking riot police and lighting fires in the streets.
Brussels Mayor Freddy Thielemans said the "hard-core" protesters, who were dressed in black and wearing balaclavas, were seen smashing four different banks and a police station and damaging several vehicles.
The 40 were to be jailed overnight while authorities decided whether to press charges, De Coninck said.
Experts travel to village to probe Ebola outbreak
LIBREVILLE, Gabon -- Experts from the World Health Organization drove to a small, jungle village Friday to investigate an Ebola virus outbreak that has killed 10.
The WHO team, including officials from the ministry of health, headed to Mekambo, about 300 miles east of this Central African nation's capital of Libreville, WHO spokeswoman Ghislaine Moussouany said.
Provincial health officials were awaiting results on blood samples taken from a Mekambo woman with symptoms of Ebola. She is the mother of one of the 10 victims.
U.N. mission in Cyprus extended six months
UNITED NATIONS -- The U.N. Security Council extended the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Cyprus for six months on Friday and called for reunification of the divided Mediterranean island.
Cyprus has been split into ethnic Greek and ethnic Turkish enclaves since Turkey invaded the island in 1974 in the wake of a short-lived coup by supporters of union with Greece.
The 15 council members approved without debate a resolution extending the mission until June 15.
-- From wire reports