- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Tomato salad topper for steaks
This recipe tops thin steak with salad greens and marinated tomatoes.
Citrus-Marinated Tomato Salad Over Steak
1/2 cup prepared regular or low-fat Italian salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel
1 pound fully ripened tomatoes, diced (about 2 1/2 cups)
7-ounce box yellow rice mix
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound beef round cube steaks, pounded thin
12-ounce package mixed salad greens
In a medium-sized bowl, combine salad dressing and orange peel. Add tomatoes; toss gently; let stand for 15 minutes.
In a cup, combine salt, cumin and pepper; sprinkle over steaks. In a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium-high heat, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil. Cook 2 steaks at a time on both sides until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes, using remaining oil as needed.
Spoon prepared rice on plates. Top with steaks, salad greens and tomatoes.