- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
LaVerne E. Phillips, 77, passed away Sunday, Dec. 9, 2001, at the Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau. Friends may call Tuesday after noon at the Hanover Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau. Funeral Service will follow at 1 p.m. at the church, with interment in Hanover Lutheran Cemetery. The Rev. Jeff Sippy will officiate.
Mrs. Phillips was born March 3, 1924, at Jonesboro, Ill., daughter of the late Charles and Olivia Frogge Smith. She and Emil C. Phillips were married Dec. 9, 1946. He passed away July 27, 1997. Mrs. Phillips passed away on what would have been their 55th wedding anniversary.
Her son, Kevin Phillips of Cape Girardeau, and his special friend, Kathie Graviett of Chaffee, Mo., survive.
Mrs. Phillips graduated from the Anna-Jonesboro High School, and then owned and operated a beauty salon in Anna, Ill., for a number of years. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips farmed north of Cape Girardeau many years. She was baptized and confirmed at Hanover Lutheran Church where she has been a member for many years.
Arrangements by McCombs Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to the Old Hanover Lutheran Church Fund.