- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Community digest 12/10/01
Dirnberger attains rank of Eagle Scout
Ryan Dirnberger, 16, of Chaffee, Mo., a member of Boy Scout Troop 29 sponsored by the Scott City Knights of Columbus, has completed the requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout. He received his medal and badge at a recent Eagle Court of Honor.
For his Eagle project, Dirnberger worked with the Missouri Department of Conservation in the design and installation stages of four benches for the walking trail around Lake Tywappity near Chaffee.
Dirnberger, the son of Ron and Charlotte Dirnberger of Chaffee, is a junior at Chaffee High School and is a member of St. Ambrose Church. He has been involvd in Scouting since joining as a Cub Scout with Troop 51 in Chaffee.
Genealogy society meets Tuesday
The Scott County Historical and Genealogy Society will met at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the home of Lois Spalding in Benton, Mo., for a Christmas social. Attendees are asked to bring a favorite dish and a friend.
Non-members are welcome at all meetings. For more information, call Margaret Cline Harmon at 335-0989, or Caryl Hairston at 471-5872. Visit the society's Web site at www.scottcountygenealogy.org.
Information, referral service subject of show
The next guest on "Independently Speaking" will be Denise Wimp of First Call for Help. She will speak about the information and referral service that First Call for Help offers to Cape Girardeau County. The program will air at 7:20 p.m. Tuesday and Dec. 25 on cable access channel 5.
Conservation tour scheduled Thursday
The Scott County Soil and Water Conservation District will conduct its annual tour of practices at 9 a.m. Thursday. The tour will begin at the USDA building in Benton, Mo. To attend the tour, call (573) 545-3593 by Tuesday.
Mingo Job Corps to hold commencement
A commencement program for students who have received their GED, fulfilled their high school diploma requirements or have completed their vocational training at the Mingo Job Corps will be held at 2 p.m. Dec. 18 in the job center's gymnasium in Puxico, Mo. The program is open to the public. A reception for the graduates and guests will be provided by the Culinary Arts department.
Two finish National Guard training
Two area men have recently graduated from Army National Guard military training.
Pvt. Gregory Meyer has graduated from basic military training at Fort Leonard Wood in Waynesville, Mo. He is the son of Frank and Mary Meyer of Perryville, Mo., and is a 2001 graduate of Perryville High School.
Pfc. Jeffrey Thompson has graduated from the heavy-wheeled vehicle mechanic advanced individual training course at Fort Jackson in Columbia, S.C. Thompson is a 2001 graduate of Meadow Heights High School in Patton, Mo. He is the son of Jeff and Cindy Thompson of Marble Hill, Mo.
-- From staff reports