- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Sikeston teen certified as adult in rape case
SIKESTON, Mo. -- A Sikeston teen has been certified as an adult in the alleged gang-rape of a 13-year-old girl.
Gailon L. Applewhite, 15, was arrested Wednesday on charges of rape and burglary.
Reports from Sikeston Department of Public Safety allege that on Oct. 28, Applewhite and 18-year-old Cletus Harris, aided by four other teen-agers, grabbed the victim, forced her into a house and took turns raping her.
Harris is already in custody.
According to a probable cause affidavit, the victim was attending a small party at Toy Land Daycare at 1015 W. Malone.
She was standing in the yard when the six attackers approached her.
Harris and another teen grabbed her while the others followed behind, the victim said.
The attackers forced her into a building on Magnolia Street and blocked the door so she couldn't leave.
The burglary charge against Applewhite stems from a Jan. 17 incident in which he and a few others are accused of breaking into Clem's clothing store at 315 W. Malone.
Police said Applewhite had been on the run for several months after he had been charged with a previous burglary and tampering charges.