- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)2
House widens president's power to negotiate trade
WASHINGTON -- In a victory for a wartime White House, the House narrowly approved legislation Thursday giving President Bush stronger authority to negotiate global trade deals.
The vote was 215-214, and came after House Speaker Dennis Hastert made a forceful plea for supporting a commander in chief leading the worldwide fight against terrorism.
"This Congress will either support our president who is fighting a courageous war on terrorism and redefining American world leadership or we will undercut this president at the worst possible time," said Hastert, R-Ill.
Shot back Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y.: "To infer ... that we're not as patriotic as the next person is wrong."
The vote sent the bill to the Senate, where Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., who has said before that no action is expected before next year.