- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Learning toys, games needed for Toybox
Learning toys and games that provide educational skills to children are popular requests for Christmas, but many families can't afford those luxuries.
Without donations to Toybox, a joint program of the Cape Girardeau Jaycees and the Southeast Missourian, hundreds of children wouldn't get gifts for Christmas.
Today is the last day for Toybox applications to be accepted at the Salvation Army office, 701 Good Hope. Applicants must provide a Social Security number for each child listed and proof of residence. Applications are accepted between 10 a.m. and noon and 2 to 4 p.m.
Barbies and dolls, toys that help children learn the alphabet like magnetic letters and blocks, and musical toys for infants and toddlers are needed to fill Toybox requests.
Remote-control cars, scooters, art supplies and sports equipment are popular requests for older boys. Makeup kits, hair accessories and N'Sync and Britney Spears items are popular with older girls.
Toybox provides gifts to children up to age 12.
Drop-off locations for new, unused toys are Southeast Missourian offices, AAA Travel Agency, First National Bank, Firstar Bank, Check Please, Bank of America, Sanders True Value, Bank of Missouri, Capaha Bank, Cingular Wireless, Union Planters Bank, Alliance Bank, Toys R Us, Commerce Bank at the Cape LaCroix Road location only, Westfield Shoppingtown West Park and SunCom Wireless.
The toys will be stored until delivery Dec. 20. New toys must be delivered to the drop-off sites by that date.
Tax-deductible contributions may be mailed to Toybox Trust, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702-0004.