- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)21
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Out of the past 12/1/01
10 years ago: Dec. 1, 1991
The Rev. Marcus Zill is guest preacher at worship services at Trinity Lutheran Church; Zill is director of development for Missouri District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod; his theme for first Sunday in Advent is "Here He Comes! Ready or Not!"
Request for proposals for use of Cape Girardeau's tourism funds procured 28 separate suggestions for City Council to consider; council Oct. 21 voted to solicit proposals for use of motel and restaurant tax revenues that total about $600,000.
25 years ago: Dec. 1, 1976
Caruthersville - Bridge over Mississippi River connecting this town and neighboring Tennessee is dedicated in morning ceremony led by governors of Missouri and Tennessee, Christopher S. Bond and Ray Blanton; 1.34-mile-long bridge cost more than $70,000.
Sikeston - Sale of Scott County Milling Co. and its wholly-owned subsidiary, SEMO Grain, to international firm of Cargill, Inc., is announced by officials of both firms; for area farmers who have dealt with 83-year-old company, change in ownership isn't expected to have any unusual effect.
50 years ago: Dec. 1, 1951
Estimated 10,000 to 15,000 people line downtown Cape Girardeau streets in morning to welcome Santa Claus, see Santa's big holiday parade, and usher in Christmas shopping season; parade, with live animals, floats depicting scenes from fairy tales and finally Santa himself on sleigh, has special appeal for children.
Week of excellent, sunlit construction weather, only one of entire month of November, set stage for pouring today of 48 yards of concrete into front wall of corridor section of huge new high school building.
75 years ago: Dec. 1, 1926
Legality of Cape Girardeau's "bone dry" liquor ordinance is attacked in demurrers filed in Common Pleas Court Tuesday by attorneys representing defendants in cases coming to this court on appeals from city court; procedure of police in securing search warrants is also attack in motions, which are to be heard by Judge Oscar A. Knehans before the cases, which are scheduled for next week, come up.
Charleston - Merger of Peoples' Bank and Farmers' Exchange Bank of Charleston is announced with opening of Peoples' Exchange Bank of Charleston; charter of consolidated bank was issued by State Finance Department yesterday, and new bank opens for business today in former Peoples' Bank location.
- Sharon K. Sanders