- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Insurance building's renovation part of Coalter family's commitment to region (12/15/17)3
- Three-vehicle wreck ends up with parked car crashing through business wall (12/16/17)3
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
Armed pilots less of a threat than armed fighter jets
To the editor:
Am I the only one to be struck by the ludicrous nature of the debate on allowing airline pilots to carry guns in cockpits? Let's see: It is insane and too dangerous to arm the pilots so they can defend their planes and passengers because in the event of a hijack attempt an innocent passenger may be injured. But it is sane and safe to keep armed fighter jets in the air at all times to shoot down the airliner and kill everyone onboard in the event of a successful hijacking?? As my favorite Democrat, James Traficant, would say, "Beam me up, Scotty."
It strikes me as being nothing but a tactic employed by the rabid anti-gun crowd, because to admit there is a legitimate reason to have armed civilians takes a lot of credibility out of their arguments.
ROBERT A. CRON