- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Parents with health problems need help
A set of Cape Girardeau parents won't be able to provide gifts for their daughter and son because they've been out of work with health problems. The father is disabled and cannot work, and the mother is recovering from foot surgery.
The family is relying on donations to Toybox, a joint program of the Cape Girardeau Jaycees and the Southeast Missourian that provides holiday gifts to children of needy families.
Applications for the program are being accepted through Wednesday at the Salvation Army office, 701 Good Hope. Applicants must provide a Social Security number for each child listed and proof of residence. Applications are accepted between 10 a.m. and noon and 2 to 4 p.m. Monday through Wednesday.
The children are 12 and 8 months, and represent the ages Toybox needs donations for most. The girl, 12, would like a jewelry kit or make up and Barbie dolls. Her brother likes any toy that makes sounds or plays music. He also likes cars, trucks and balls.
Educational materials are greatly needed since many parents and children request them. Board games, electronic toys and batteries, sports equipment and dolls are still needed to fill children's requests.
Drop-off locations for new, unused toys are Southeast Missourian offices, AAA Travel Agency, First National Bank, Firstar Bank, Check Please, Bank of America, Sanders True Value, Bank of Missouri, Capaha Bank, Cingular Wireless, Union Planters Bank, Alliance Bank, Toys R Us, Commerce Bank at the Cape LaCroix Road location only, Westfield Shoppingtown West Park and SunCom Wireless.
Tax-deductible contributions can be mailed to Toybox Trust, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702-0004.