Passing ambulance spots house on fire

Thursday, November 29, 2001

GORDONVILLE, Mo. -- A house fire that possibly started in a chimney was discovered by a passing ambulance Wednesday night.

The house on County Road 216 near the intersection of Highway 74 was noticed by personnel from Cape County Ambulance Service shortly after 9:30 p.m., firefighters said. Flames were reported shooting out of the chimney.

The two residents of the house, which is owned by Buddy Oberman, were not at home at the time of the fire, said John Sachen of the Delta Fire Department, which responded along with two pump trucks and a ladder truck from the Gordonville Fire Department.

Firefighters said that the one-and-a-half story house was destroyed by the fire.

The blaze had been contained by 10:30 p.m., although firefighters continued to search the house for any hidden remnants of burning.

The fire's danger was heightened by a propane tank near the house.

No exact cause had been determined for the fire, which firefighters said was still under investigation. However, preliminary findings led them to believe that it started in the flue of the chimney.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: