- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)1
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
Please read the books before making judgment
To the editor:
I have a question for all of you who say Harry Potter is evil: Have you read the books? Some people who go to my school say their parents won't allow them to read them. I think this is ridiculous. Some parents who are so religious are so close-minded. If you are one of those people, please read the books before you judge them.
Just because the books say Harry Potter is a wizard doesn't mean they encourage witchcraft. If so, I guess the Wizard of Oz and Mickey Mouse are both evil -- as well as all Disney movies, for that matter.
Harry Potter teaches kids to believe in themselves and have some imagination.
Thank God my mom isn't like some parents. Yes, I did say "Thank God." Just because I like Harry Potter doesn't mean I hate God. That too is ridiculous. I'm sure kids can handle a make-believe story.
So I'll leave you with this thought: Just because some people are close-minded doesn't mean everyone has to be. Everyone who reads the books tends to like them. I'll pray for all of you to understand what's fact and what's fiction and to have a more open mind.