- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Please read the books before making judgment
To the editor:
I have a question for all of you who say Harry Potter is evil: Have you read the books? Some people who go to my school say their parents won't allow them to read them. I think this is ridiculous. Some parents who are so religious are so close-minded. If you are one of those people, please read the books before you judge them.
Just because the books say Harry Potter is a wizard doesn't mean they encourage witchcraft. If so, I guess the Wizard of Oz and Mickey Mouse are both evil -- as well as all Disney movies, for that matter.
Harry Potter teaches kids to believe in themselves and have some imagination.
Thank God my mom isn't like some parents. Yes, I did say "Thank God." Just because I like Harry Potter doesn't mean I hate God. That too is ridiculous. I'm sure kids can handle a make-believe story.
So I'll leave you with this thought: Just because some people are close-minded doesn't mean everyone has to be. Everyone who reads the books tends to like them. I'll pray for all of you to understand what's fact and what's fiction and to have a more open mind.