- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Please read the books before making judgment
To the editor:
I have a question for all of you who say Harry Potter is evil: Have you read the books? Some people who go to my school say their parents won't allow them to read them. I think this is ridiculous. Some parents who are so religious are so close-minded. If you are one of those people, please read the books before you judge them.
Just because the books say Harry Potter is a wizard doesn't mean they encourage witchcraft. If so, I guess the Wizard of Oz and Mickey Mouse are both evil -- as well as all Disney movies, for that matter.
Harry Potter teaches kids to believe in themselves and have some imagination.
Thank God my mom isn't like some parents. Yes, I did say "Thank God." Just because I like Harry Potter doesn't mean I hate God. That too is ridiculous. I'm sure kids can handle a make-believe story.
So I'll leave you with this thought: Just because some people are close-minded doesn't mean everyone has to be. Everyone who reads the books tends to like them. I'll pray for all of you to understand what's fact and what's fiction and to have a more open mind.