- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
Please read the books before making judgment
To the editor:
I have a question for all of you who say Harry Potter is evil: Have you read the books? Some people who go to my school say their parents won't allow them to read them. I think this is ridiculous. Some parents who are so religious are so close-minded. If you are one of those people, please read the books before you judge them.
Just because the books say Harry Potter is a wizard doesn't mean they encourage witchcraft. If so, I guess the Wizard of Oz and Mickey Mouse are both evil -- as well as all Disney movies, for that matter.
Harry Potter teaches kids to believe in themselves and have some imagination.
Thank God my mom isn't like some parents. Yes, I did say "Thank God." Just because I like Harry Potter doesn't mean I hate God. That too is ridiculous. I'm sure kids can handle a make-believe story.
So I'll leave you with this thought: Just because some people are close-minded doesn't mean everyone has to be. Everyone who reads the books tends to like them. I'll pray for all of you to understand what's fact and what's fiction and to have a more open mind.