- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)13
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Generous donors fill Scouts' food bags
Boy Scouts in this area are wrapping up another successful food drive that tops the generosity demonstrated by residents in previous years.
Scout executives say they will collect more than 52,000 cans of food left on the doorknobs of virtually every house in sight. Last year's drive brought in 45,500 cans of food.
About 800 Scouts participated in the drive this year, putting out empty bags one week and picking up filled bags the next. Over the past 16 years, the Scouting for Food campaign has collected more than half a million cans of food for the Salvation Army, FISH, Gibson House, Safe House for Women, Jackson Ministerial Alliance and the Jackson Revival Center.
Helping the Scouts were members of two fraternities at Southeast Missouri State University, Lambda Chi Alpha and Alpha Phi Omega, plus students from the Division of Youth Services.
Thanks to all the hard work of the Scouts, their leaders and other volunteers, the needs of the hungry will be met.
And a special thank you to everyone who took the time to fill the Scouting for Food bags with canned goods. Your generosity is appreciated.
Finally, the Scouting for Food drive is yet another example that this area's generosity is immense. That's good news any way you look at it.