- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Outdoor decor - Camouflage carpet introduced in Illinois
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- Hunters and outdoors enthusiasts who aren't satisfied just dressing themselves in camouflage now have the option of dressing their family rooms that way, too.
A new Illinois company is selling camouflage carpet.
"You can find leather sofas in camo and chain saws in camo and all sorts of clothes in camo," said John Staff, a carpet dealer and one of four partners in the business, called Camo Boys Carpet. "But no one has ever thought to put their carpet in camo."
Turkey hunter Jack Robertson thought of it when he went shopping for a floor covering for his cabin. He stopped in at Staff Carpet in Springfield and asked for camouflage.
"I told him there wasn't such a thing," Staff said.
So the two contacted the textile firm that manufactures items in the popular Advantage and Realtree camouflage patterns and asked them to supply the carpet.
Six months later, Staff Carpet is the sole supplier of those camouflage carpets.
"We're targeting people who have cabins and hunting rooms and really residential homes that want an outdoorsy room," Staff said. "We already have had a lot of interest."
Two Springfield businesses have installed the carpet and homebuilders are inquiring about it, he said.
"They tell me camouflage is a billion-dollar-a-year business," he said. "I don't know if that's true, but this is just another item to add to the list of things you can get in camo."
The carpet is available in Advantage Wetlands with reeds and cattails; Advantage Classic with leaves and tree limbs; Realtree Hardwoods with leaves and tree limbs; and Advantage Timber, which has the most leaf colors.