- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Students move into new fraternity housing at Southeast Missouri State University (8/18/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)7
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Logan's Roadhouse in Cape not closing; Ruby Tuesday fate still unknown (8/17/16)
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
R.J. Reynolds to buy Santa Fe
RALEIGH, N.C. -- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Holdings Inc. announced plans Thursday to buy the maker of American Spirit cigarettes.
Details of the offer were scarce on Thanksgiving Day, but a release from RJR said the company had agreed to purchase Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Co. for $320 million in cash.
Officials at Santa Fe Natural Tobacco did not immediately return calls for comment. A spokeswoman for RJR said she could not comment on the details of the plan.
The sale is subject to approval by shareholders and regulatory officials. If the deal is approved, Santa Fe would continue to operate from its Santa Fe, N.M., headquarters as a wholly owned, independent subsidiary of RJR, the second-largest cigarette maker in the United States.