- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
R.J. Reynolds to buy Santa Fe
RALEIGH, N.C. -- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Holdings Inc. announced plans Thursday to buy the maker of American Spirit cigarettes.
Details of the offer were scarce on Thanksgiving Day, but a release from RJR said the company had agreed to purchase Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Co. for $320 million in cash.
Officials at Santa Fe Natural Tobacco did not immediately return calls for comment. A spokeswoman for RJR said she could not comment on the details of the plan.
The sale is subject to approval by shareholders and regulatory officials. If the deal is approved, Santa Fe would continue to operate from its Santa Fe, N.M., headquarters as a wholly owned, independent subsidiary of RJR, the second-largest cigarette maker in the United States.