- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)6
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)8
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
Bush says war in Afghanistan unraveling bin Laden's network
AP White House CorrespondentWASHINGTON (AP) -- A defensive President Bush said Friday the war in Afghanistan is unraveling the al-Qaida terrorist network and he chastised critics who are clamoring for more action. "This is not an instant gratification war," he said.
In a Rose Garden question-and-answer session, Bush pledged revenge against Osama bin Laden, the suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, and his organization. The president said the U.S. military campaign will not pause for the Muslim holiday of Ramadan, which starts in mid-November.
"The enemy won't rest during Ramadan and neither will we," Bush said after a meeting with Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo, who stood at his side.
"We're going to get him," he said of bin Laden, "and them."
The remarks came as polls show American increasingly are nervous about the anti-terrorism campaign. The percentage of people who think the military will capture bin Laden has declined since the campaign began more than a month ago, as has the percentage of people who think the international alliance will hold.
"This is not an instant gratification war. This is a struggle for freedom and liberty. This is a struggle for the ability of Americans and their children to live in peace," Bush said. "That's why I can assure our allies and assure the American people that for so long as I'm the president this will be our focus."