- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
Eurotunnel trains move illegal cargo
LILLE, France -- Freight train traffic in the Channel Tunnel was temporarily halted Tuesday after about 100 asylum-seekers tried to slip into the tunnel to enter Britain illegally, the French rail authority said.
Passenger trains were unaffected by the stoppage, which paralyzed freight train service.
between Britain and France for more than 10 hours, officials at the SNCF French rail authority said.
Eurotunnel estimates that it has stopped 18,500 refugees from reaching Britain in the first half of this year, prompting the company to spend more than $4 million to boost security at Coquelles, the freight terminal commonly used by refugees to cross to Britain.