- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Apples are basic ingredient of fruit bars
Apples are a basic ingredient of wholesome fruit bars the home cook can make for family snacking. And, especially at this season, apples are not going to be far from any cook's reach.
For the low-fat chewy fruit bars, Braeburn or Golden Delicious apples would be suitable. They are teamed with dates, spiced with cinnamon, vanilla and a dash of nutmeg. Bake in 25 minutes, for a batch of 24 bars.
Low-Fat Chewy Fruit Bars
10 ounces all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 1/2 cups pitted dates
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, not packed
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups Braeburn or Golden Delicious apples, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray coat 13-by-18-inch baking sheet.
Blend flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in mixer bowl. In food processor fitted with blade, combine dates with water and process until almost smooth. Add brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. Pulse just until blended. Stir date mixture and apples into flour mixture just until blended. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes; do not overbake. Cool before cutting.
Makes 24 bars.
Nutrition information per serving: 212 cal.,2.4 g pro., 45 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 3.8 g fat, 18 mg chol., 170 mg sodium.