- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Barbara Unterreiner Stern
HERNDON, Va. -- Barbara Unterreiner Stern of Herndon, Va., after a difficult battle with cancer, passed away Thursday, Oct. 25, 2001, at her residence. She was born May 11, 1951, in Poplar Bluff, Mo., to Bertha Schnurbusch Unterreiner and the late Clemens J. Unterreiner.
She grew up in Cape Girardeau, where she was a member of St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church and attended St. Vincent De Paul Elementary School. She graduated from Notre Dame High School in 1969 and Southeast Missouri State University in 1973 with a degree in elementary education.
She taught three years at Our Lady of Sorrows Elementary School and for two years at Immaculata Elementary School in St. Louis.
She is survived by her husband, Howard Stern, and children Adrien, Lauren and Zachary Stern of Herndon; her mother, Bertha Unterreiner of Cape Girardeau; a sister, Jane Mrozewski of St. Louis; and four brothers, Charles and Ronald Unterreiner of St. Louis, and Wayne and Steve Unterreiner of Cape Girardeau.
The family will receive friends on Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2001, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. Vincent De Paul Church in Cape Girardeau, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 1 p.m. Interment will follow at St. Mary Cemetery.
Memorials may be made in her name to Hospice of Northern Virginia, 9300 Lee Highway, 5th Floor, Fairfax, Va. 22031-1207.
Arrangements are under the direction of Ford and Sons Funeral Home.