- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)16
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)18
Speak Out 102101
The best friends
TRUE FRIENDS are like diamonds: precious but rare. False friends are like autumn leaves: found everywhere. Words could not be more true. Recently in the hospital I found out who my true friends were, and I thank each one of them. God bless them for being there when I needed them.
Extra greeting cards
DROP OFF those extra greeting cards to the hemodialysis unit at St. Francis Medical Center. Each year we send out Christmas cards to our dialysis patients we love so dearly.
SO YOU think the Southeast Missourian is a Republican newspaper? Well, you could've fooled me. I thought it was a Christian newspaper. I say praise the Lord. Hallelujah!
THERE'S NO way Secretary of State Matt Blunt is entitled to his Missouri salary while he's overseas. The $50,000 he's earning over there should be adequate. In fact, if the secretary of state's office can operate without the head man being there, maybe we're wasting $75,000 a year.
He's in disguise
JERRY FALWELL is just another Osama bin Laden in American disguise. As for the president, I believe any of our presidents would have risen magnificently to the occasion, not just George Bush.
I DON'T enjoy paying fines to the police department and the city any more than anyone else, but if I broke the law, then I'm liable for that. I appreciate the police taking in people running red lights. When I have to slam my brakes on when someone runs a red light, I'm glad they get a ticket.
Money or food
LIKE ANOTHER Speak Out caller, I too am skeptical about the guy out there on Route K with the sign "Will work for food." I stopped one day and asked him what he'd like to eat. I said I'd run down to Hardee's and bring him back a sandwich and a drink. He said he'd take the cash and get something later. I said, "Not from me, you won't."
Scott City's water
I WOULD like to comment on the Scott City water system. It seems that every other day we have a boil-water order. And we don't find out for a day or two because it's not on the news. The only way to find out is if you happen to drive through for a soda and see it posted in the window. I think that it is ridiculous. We expect it to be good water. Maybe Scott City can find another way to let residents know of polluted water or have workers figure out why there are problems every other day.