- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Cora M. Layton, 98, of Perryville, died Friday, Oct. 19, 2001, at the Perry County Nursing Home.
Born Jan. 17, 1903 in Highland, Mo., she was the daughter of Jasper and Pauline C. Lohmann Smith.
On Oct. 19, 1920, she was married to Alonzo I. Layton. He died Jan. 13, 1973.
Layton was a homemaker and a member of St. Vincent De Paul Catholic Church. She also belonged to The Ladies Sodality, Daughters of Isabella and the Knights of Columbus Auxiliary.
Survivors include six grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren and 11 great-great grandchildren.
In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by two sons, three brothers and two sisters.
Friends may call from 4-9 p.m. Sunday and 6:30 to 9:50 a.m. Monday at the Miller Family Funeral Home in Perryville. Parish wake service with the Ladies Sodality and Daughters of Isabella will be at 7 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
A rosary will be recited at 9 a.m. Monday at the funeral home. A funeral mass will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Vincent de Paul parish with the Rev. Kevin Fausz as celebrant. Burial will take place at St. Rose of Lima Cemetery in Silver Lake.