- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
Pakistan, Afghan rebels hold talks
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- Pakistan confirmed Saturday that it was holding talks with a senior Taliban commander on the makeup of a future Afghan government -- a move that drew a sharp retort from the opposition alliance that is fighting the Islamic militia in the north.
Pakistan is trying to court Taliban figures who might be acceptable candidates in a new government if the ruling militia collapses under the relentless U.S. military assault.
It wants to ensure that the next government includes members favorable to Pakistan, which had been the Taliban's closest ally until the Sept. 11 attacks.