- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)4
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
Pakistan, Afghan rebels hold talks
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- Pakistan confirmed Saturday that it was holding talks with a senior Taliban commander on the makeup of a future Afghan government -- a move that drew a sharp retort from the opposition alliance that is fighting the Islamic militia in the north.
Pakistan is trying to court Taliban figures who might be acceptable candidates in a new government if the ruling militia collapses under the relentless U.S. military assault.
It wants to ensure that the next government includes members favorable to Pakistan, which had been the Taliban's closest ally until the Sept. 11 attacks.