- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
Bush- Terrorists attacked world economic system
SHANGHAI, China -- President Bush told business executives Saturday the attack on the World Trade Center was an assault on a free enterprise system that has fueled prosperity throughout the Pacific rim.
"The terrorists tried to shatter confidence in the world economic system, but they failed," Bush said. "The terrorists hoped world markets would collapse. But the markets have proved their resilience and fundamental strength."
He spoke during a photo session with Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.
Afterward, Bush attended the opening session of annual Asia-Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) forum, a gathering of 19 nations plus Hong Kong.