- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
3 in New York treated for anthrax; Reno tests negative
NEW YORK -- A police officer and two lab technicians involved in the NBC anthrax investigation have tested positive for the bacteria, Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said Sunday.
Nevada officials said four people who may have come into contact with a contaminated letter at a Microsoft office in Reno, Nev., tested negative while results were due today for two others.
The New York cases brought to 12 the number of people around the nation who either have anthrax or have been exposed to it.
That does not include a second NBC employee who is taking antibiotics after displaying possible symptoms of the disease.
The anthrax scare began Oct. 4 when it was confirmed that a Florida tabloid editor had contracted the inhaled form of the bacteria.
His death a day later was the first resulting from the disease in the United States since 1976.
Seven other employees of American Media Inc. have tested positive for exposure and are being treated with antibiotics.
None have developed the disease. A second round of blood tests for more than 300 of the company's employees is expected this week.
News of the exposures has caused jitters around the world, with a number of false or pending cases reported over the weekend.