- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)5
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
U.S. poverty rate declines to 11.3 percent of population
Associated Press WriterWASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. poverty rate decreased to 11.3 percent of the population last year while American household income was down slightly, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday.
Nationwide, 31.1 million Americans lived in poverty, down from 32.3 million or 11.8 percent of the population in 1999. The median household income was $42,148. Accounting for inflation, that is down slightly from $42,187 the previous year.