- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
U.S. poverty rate declines to 11.3 percent of population
Associated Press WriterWASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. poverty rate decreased to 11.3 percent of the population last year while American household income was down slightly, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday.
Nationwide, 31.1 million Americans lived in poverty, down from 32.3 million or 11.8 percent of the population in 1999. The median household income was $42,148. Accounting for inflation, that is down slightly from $42,187 the previous year.