- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)16
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)25
U.S. poverty rate declines to 11.3 percent of population
Associated Press WriterWASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. poverty rate decreased to 11.3 percent of the population last year while American household income was down slightly, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday.
Nationwide, 31.1 million Americans lived in poverty, down from 32.3 million or 11.8 percent of the population in 1999. The median household income was $42,148. Accounting for inflation, that is down slightly from $42,187 the previous year.