- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
CRUMP, Mo. -- Longtime Southeast Missouri educator Robert Glenn Jones, 93, of Crump passed away Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2001, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Oct. 9, 1907, in Hickory Grove, Mo., son of Paul and Effie Ervin Jones. He and Mildred Hawn were married June 23, 1945, at Herculaneum, Mo.
Jones graduated from Will Mayfield College in 1929, and received a bachelor of science degree in elementary education from Southeast Missouri State University in 1952.
His teaching career in Cape and Bollinger counties spanned 44 years. He retired from teaching fourth grade at Delta Elementary School in 1974.
During World War II, Jones served with the U.S. Army from 1941 to 1945 in North Africa and Italy.
Well-known as a writer and poet, James was honored in 1996 upon the publication of "Times and Places," a collection of his poetry. He received numerous other honors as well, including an Outstanding Elementary Teacher of America award in 1972.
An active member of Bethlehem General Baptist Church in Crump, Jones served in various capacities, including board of trustees member, Sunday School teacher and superintendent, and program director. He was an avid gardener.
He is survived by his wife, and a great-nephew, James "Jimmy" Jones of Crump.
He was preceded in death by a nephew, David Clinton Jones; a great-nephew, Paul David Jones; and three brothers, Clinton Jones, Henry Jones, and Earley Proffer.
Friends may call at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson, Mo., from 4-8 p.m. today.
Funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the funeral home. The Rev. Joe Allen, pastor of Bethlehem General Baptist Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Proffer Cemetery at Crump.
Memorials may take the form of contributions to the Bethlehem General Baptist Church or Proffer Cemetery.