- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)29
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
Recovery efforts scaled back at Pentagon
ARLINGTON, Va. -- A week after a Boeing 757 jumbo jet slammed into the Pentagon, officials scaled back the search and recovery effort Tuesday.
"As the debris is removed, there's less room for people to work efficiently," Arlington County Fire Chief Ed Plaugher said. The huge building that houses headquarters of the U.S. armed forces is in Arlington, a Washington suburb.
About 150 civilian rescue workers headed home to nearby Fairfax County, Va., and Montgomery County, Md., as construction equipment lifted huge chunks of concrete and steel from the dwindling three-story-high debris pile.
"The crew that replaced us is probably going to find some grisly things under there," said Lt. Mark D. Stone of the Fairfax County Urban Search and Rescue Team.
They were among the first units to arrive in the hours after American Airlines Flight 77 from Dulles International Airport slammed into one of the building's five sides.
Officials placed the death toll at 189, including 64 people aboard the airliner and 125 people in the Pentagon. One Army civilian died early Tuesday of burns sustained in the attack. Antoinette Sherman, 35, of Forest Heights, Md., was pronounced dead at Washington Hospital Center.