- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)12
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Michigan resident grows giant mushroom
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. -- Louie Jensen doesn't know whether to eat it or display it.
The Mount Pleasant resident grew a puffball mushroom weighing 14.18 pounds -- or, more accurately, found it growing on a hill in his backyard.
"Imagine something big, round and white that would fit on your entire car floorboard," said Carol Howard, Jensen's neighbor. "It's like it's from outer space."
Puffballs generally grow from mid-August to October and can reach four feet in width, said Howard, a retired Central Michigan University professor.
While Jensen decides whether to preserve or eat his massive fungus, the mushroom is occupying most of the space in his refrigerator.