- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)2
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- Southerner by Tractors owners seek to bring 'sophisticated Southern' cuisine (9/12/17)
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)1
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Unseen helpers made HOG rally a huge success
To the editor:
The fabulous pop-culture event we witnessed in Cape Girardeau this past weekend, the Harley Owners Group Missouri State Rally, was certainly a feather in our city's cap. Comments from participants were glowing. Certainly much credit for the success of the event goes to our Convention and Visitors Bureau. In the media coverage of the rally, others behind the scenes were left unrecognized.
The SEMO HOG Chapter started the process of acquiring the state rally almost two years ago under the leadership of Sonny Minor of Minor's Harley-Davidson/Suzuki Sales Inc. and Les Glastetter, then director of the SEMO HOG Chapter. These people were instrumental in acquiring the rally for Cape along with the CVB representatives.
Additionally, a local committee made up primarily of members of our local HOG chapter has worked extensively over the past year to make sure everything came off smoothly. Those were Mike "Smitty" Schmidt, Tim Estes, Pat Jenkins, Dave Hutson and Brad "Chrome Dawg" Sample. I'm sure I've missed some people who deserve recognition, but to those behind-the-scenes volunteers, you did a great job.
ROGER C. ARPIN