- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Cape man accused of secretly recording women, posting to porn site (11/22/17)
- Thankful People: Kirsten Strebe recovers from traumatic car accident, brain injury (11/23/17)
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- Thankful People: Moore family counts its blessing after harrowing accident (11/23/17)
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Deal Finder brings 'unique' shopping to Cape Girardeau (11/24/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
Unseen helpers made HOG rally a huge success
To the editor:
The fabulous pop-culture event we witnessed in Cape Girardeau this past weekend, the Harley Owners Group Missouri State Rally, was certainly a feather in our city's cap. Comments from participants were glowing. Certainly much credit for the success of the event goes to our Convention and Visitors Bureau. In the media coverage of the rally, others behind the scenes were left unrecognized.
The SEMO HOG Chapter started the process of acquiring the state rally almost two years ago under the leadership of Sonny Minor of Minor's Harley-Davidson/Suzuki Sales Inc. and Les Glastetter, then director of the SEMO HOG Chapter. These people were instrumental in acquiring the rally for Cape along with the CVB representatives.
Additionally, a local committee made up primarily of members of our local HOG chapter has worked extensively over the past year to make sure everything came off smoothly. Those were Mike "Smitty" Schmidt, Tim Estes, Pat Jenkins, Dave Hutson and Brad "Chrome Dawg" Sample. I'm sure I've missed some people who deserve recognition, but to those behind-the-scenes volunteers, you did a great job.
ROGER C. ARPIN